When your child learns that he/she is getting fitted with braces in the immediate future, it can be a challenge to get them to accept their fate without protest, grudges, or pouting. Kids who are in need of braces for treatment can be nervous or scared about the onslaught of perceived jokes at their expense, pain they fear is involved, challenge of adopting new hygiene habits, or even trying to accept that favorite treats are no longer a part of the regular diet. So getting them happy about their life changing experience can be a difficult assignment.
How to Get Your Child Excited for Braces; Celebrate with a Party
Leaver & Gardner Orthodontics has compiled a list of ideas to help your child embrace their orthodontics appointment to get braces, or at least help them, and you; accept the necessity with less reluctance!
1. Celebrate Getting Braces On with a Party. Just like any other party which celebrates life events, you want the perfect theme. A Willy Wonka party theme will surely get them a little excited. Get the whole nine yards of activities, games, decorations, and most importantly the cake, candy, gum, and assortment of food the child should avoid while in braces. Be sure to get the favorites and go overboard. Add a little fun by getting oral hygiene party favors for guests and gifts for the child to make it more fun. Take dozens of before pictures of their teeth, including the consumption of the yummy contraband that will be forbidden. At the post-braces party, get similar pictures and show them the before and after so they can see the beneficial results of their sacrifice.
2. Promote the idea that their smile is forever, but braces are not. If they can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and better understand braces isn’t a life sentence, they may be a little more accepting of wearing the braces to enhance their beautiful smiles.
3. Little girls, tweens, and teens alike can be a little more self conscious of the need to wear braces. Wanting to be thought of as popular and desired can make them extremely hesitant to wear brace. Name drop celebrity women who wore braces like Cameron Diaz, Kelly Clarkson, Dakota fanning, Gwen Stefani, and so on to help them understand braces doesn’t define beauty and just because you have braces doesn’t mean people will think any less of them. Some children associate well with their favorite celebrity, and with the common use of braces, chances are they wore them once in their life as well!
4. Explain that braces have come a long way since back in the day when they were hunks of metal hardware painfully obvious from a mile away. There are options to make braces a trendy accessory instead of a tacky style for shackling teeth. Options such as clear braces or colored bands can give them a chance to make them unique and an emphasis of their personality.
5. List the beneficial gain of getting braces. The overall importance of straightening teeth to correcting other problems. If needed, point out your own teeth or someone they look up to that has slightly or even severe crooked teeth and the regret of not getting it corrected!
Call Leaver & Gardner Orthodontics for all your teeth straightening and orthodontic care!