Braces are used to straighten smiles on a daily basis. They can leave you with straight teeth that beautify and brighten your smile. However, there are many that are concerned about the risks of stains on your teeth while wearing braces. It’s a valid concern since you are trying to improve your smile. Leaver & Gardner Orthodontics is here to talk about what you can do to prevent staining while wearing braces.
Teeth Require Special Care when Wearing Braces
When you have traditional braces put on your teeth to help with straightening, you may notice the many grooves and crevices around the brackets that can be difficult to clean. Extra care needs to be taken when you are cleaning your teeth with braces.
1. Brush Teeth in a Pattern – When you are brushing your teeth, make sure you spend five seconds brushing each tooth. If you follow a pattern you can keep better track of which teeth you have brushed so you don’t miss any of them.
2. Gently Apply Pressure when Brushing Teeth – When you are brushing gently, apply enough pressure that you notice the bristles are spreading into all the gaps between your teeth and the brackets.
3. Remove Any Elastics when Brushing Teeth – Your orthodontist may have elastics in your mouth to help move your teeth. These elastics need to be removed before you brush and then put back in once you have completed brushing.
4. Use a Fluoride Mouth Rinse – Using a fluoride mouth rinse will help your teeth stay healthy and avoid any cavities while you have your braces on.
How to Avoid Brown Food Stains When Wearing Braces
When there is an object sitting in any one place for a long stretch of time, once you move it, you might notice some dust has collected around the object. You don’t want this to happen to your teeth when the brackets are removed from your teeth once treatment is over. There are some foods that can cause staining on your teeth when you have braces. You want to avoid foods that are high in acid when you have braces. Some foods and drinks that are high in acid include:
• Tomatoes and pickles
• BBQ sauces, vinaigrette dressings and salsas
• Soda (regular & diet), fruit drinks, and sports drinks
• Oranges, pineapple, cherries, and raspberries
You should avoid foods that can cause issues with your braces like apples, gum and sticky candy as well.
What are White Spots on Teeth After Braces Are Removed?
White spots are results of decalcification caused by oral bacteria that produces acid and saps your teeth of the essential minerals they need to stay healthy. When this happens, once your braces are removed, you will have white spots on your teeth. These are usually permanent and teeth whitening will need to happen to help them blend into your teeth. You can avoid these white scars by taking proper care of your teeth with good oral habits throughout the time you have braces on your teeth. This is also why it is so important to avoid foods that are high in acid when you have braces. It is important that during the duration of your braces, you have healthy oral habits to avoid any discoloration of your teeth so you have the beautiful smile you are trying to attain by wearing braces. Leaver & Gardner Orthodontics can help you get the smile you have been wanting. Call us today!